In this lesson we are going to learn the basics of how to orchestrate for the string section. We will explain first how the harmonic series affects the way we listen music and, therefore, how we orchestrate. Then we will go straight to see what are the main functions of the string section, doublings and combinations within and with other sections of the orchestra, and finally we will learn about the basics of how to voice chords for this family.
At the end of the lesson you will have learnt:
- What is a partial, overtone, harmonic, and the harmonic series
- How the harmonic series influences how we orchestrate
- The functions of the string section
- The combinations within this family
- The string section doubling other sections
- How to voice for the string section